Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snow, Snacks and the Super Bowl!

Beers at the Belgium Beer House
Mmm...beer...nectar of the gods.  Josh and I started our weekend by enjoying a traditional German dinner at the Belgium Beer House.  We have walked by it a few times on our way to and from other destinations.  It is a short walk from our flat on Creechurch, and since we are moving to our new flat in Islington on Monday (Yippee!), we decided we needed to stop in for some beer and sausage.

Our German style dinners.  Mmmm....
Josh had three different kinds of sausages, potatoes and sauerkraut.  I had a pretzel and sausages and sauerkraut (yes, I actually at the sauerkraut!  I'm surprised too!)

On Saturday, our plan was to head to Stratford to try to check out the Olympic Park and to do a little shopping at the mall.  After a short tube ride, we attempted to find a way to the Olympic stadium and park, but it was all blocked off and we didn't get a good look.  We did get a picture from the mall, overlooking some of the park. 

Olympic Stadium in the background.
What we did see of the park looked pretty cool, but the area around it is a little dodgy.  The site of the Olympics used to be a large industrial park and the housing around it looks a little run down.  The mall nearby is pretty new though and the area seems to be undergoing a turn around.  Josh and I didn't stay at the mall very long.  We visited the John Lewis (like a Dillard's or Macy's) and bought a mattress pad for the mattress in our new flat.  Then we bought ice cream cones and people watched before heading back to our flat.

The weather has been cold lately, around -1 to 4* Celsius, which isn't too bad, considering it got to -7 Fahrenheit in Springfield last winter.  They were predicting snow and ice for late on Saturday night and honestly, I wasn't expecting much of anything, but it started snowing around 7:00 pm here in London.  Josh and I were excited for the white stuff!

Josh in the street outside of our flat.






Snow in London!
At 8:00 we went out to a pub called "The Bell" to meet the friends we met last week, Alissa and Kieran.  They were a bit late, because some of the tube lines had shut down due to the weather...London is not used to snow and any amount seems to shut them down!

Sorry this is dark, but it is Josh having a beer at The Bell.
We had a great time talking and drinking with Kieran and Alissa.  We stayed for a few hours and then headed out into the snow.  It was beautiful.  In the few hours we had sat and talked, it had snowed a couple inches.  And the snow was perfect for making snowballs!

Snow!
My snow angel :)
Outside of the bar, there were a bunch of people having a snowball fight, laughing and enjoying the snow.

Josh and I enjoying the falling snow.

Our miniature snowmen.
We walked back to our flat and I was reluctant to come inside.  It was just so nice to see something as familiar as snow, it felt normal!

Josh in the snow.
Our building on Creechurch.
The next morning, I woke up early and decided to try to take a walk around down by Tower Hill before the snow started to melt.  It was already a big yucky mess in the street and sidewalks from cars and people walking around.  Luckily, down by the Tower of London, there was still quite a bit of snow left.

Snow by Tower Bridge.

Snow on a statue.

It was such a nice morning to walk around Tower Hill.  Normally, there would be tourists all over the place, but I barely passed more than 10 people as I walked around.  In a city the size of London, I think that is amazing! 

Tomorrow (Monday), Josh and I finally move into our flat in Islington.  We are really looking forward to being close to shops and to Josh's work.  The biggest thing that we are excited about is getting away from the noise here in our Creechurch flat.  At night, when we are sleeping, there are sirens, people walking below us talking or screaming loudly, horns honking, trash people picking up glass bottles, strange metal on metal noises, car doors slamming...you name it, we have heard it.  Our new flat is in a much quieter area and the bedroom is towards the back.  We can't wait for a full night sleep! 

Tonight, is Super Bowl, and Josh and I will be watching from our flat.  The game doesn't start until about 11:20pm our time, so it will be a late night.  I'm making all sorts of American type snacks to satisfy Josh's Super Bowl food cravings.  I'm pretty sure I will be in bed by 1:00 am...but we'll see.  Sad part is...no US commercials :(  bummer. 

Rachel

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kraut & Sauage looked delicious!! Yummy yum yum. And a good bottle or glass of German beer would just set it off right! The snow you can have. Olympic Park looked a little depressing but I'm sure they'll fix it up. Glad your moving into your new flat. Your flat now sounds like one Roy had in Minniapolis while doing a play. Noise ALL night long. Love you, Grandma D.

Shannon said...

No US commercials! That's the best part in my opinion. The snow looks so pretty. Excited to see the new flat.

Mom said...

That looked like a lot of food for a little girl like you, did you finish it? And the snow!!! Funny, I had just ask Dad the night before if London ever got snow, he said "rarely". I loved your snow angel, what fun., almost as fun as we had playing Chinese fire drill, LOL! Wonder where you get that crazy side from?!

Dad had read where Land Lords were making their renters move out when Olypics come so they can rent out at high dollars to travelers , have you heard this?

I will be thinking of yas while watching the super bowl, guess Josh not working on Monday? Glad you had fun with Aussie friends, do they have jobs yet? And did they make it home with the snow and Tubes not running?


Cheers!

Josh and Rachel said...

I know Shannon! At least I still have the food to look forward to!

Josh and Rachel said...

I'm pretty sure the crazy side comes equally from the Marcks and the Holbrooks! Yes, I've read about the landlords trying to cash in on the Olympics...I think I read the same article. I think I need to rent out our couch! Josh is working a half day tomorrow. He is getting the key for the new flat at 10:00 and I'm meeting him later to unpack our stuff. One of our friends is teaching, and the other one has had a couple interviews. And yes, they made it home just fine :) Not all the tube stations were closed. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys-
I'm envious with the snow, cold weather and all! We'll be watching the Super Bowl with your Mom & Dad today & then going home to Bentonville tomorrow morning EARLY ( need to be @ work by 8:00 A.M.!) Good luck on your newest move.

P.S. - The German food looks EXCELLENT! Take care, George & Pat

Josh and Rachel said...

Hi Pat! I'm glad you and George got to spend time in Springfield with mom and dad! Wish I would have been able to hang out with you guys too!

Mom said...

Pat surprised me!! I had no idea she knew how to post!!!