Monday, April 30, 2012

Back to normal...mostly...

Josh and I have finally gotten our schedules back to normal after our trip.  It was nice to have the last two weekends to just lounge and do whatever we want...especially being couch potatoes!  The weather has helped make us lazy...it has rained practically every day since we returned and it has been cold!  Classic English weather!  I pretty much have my umbrella surgically attached to my side in case of a sudden downpour and I hope that sometime in May I can ditch my boots and winter coat...sigh...

Rainy, rainy, rainy days....
Most days, it rains for about an hour, then is sunny for 30 minutes, then rain, then sun, then rain, then sun and so on and so on...So, it makes it hard to plan anything outside.  I did manage to get a few vegetable plants and seeds planted in some makeshift pots (ie. reusable Sainsbury bags).

Tomato plants on the left and lettuce and spinach on the right.
I'm not sure how the plants will do...they only get direct sun for about an hour a day, but I'm hoping since they are English varieties they will do okay with a small amount of sun.  Although I do not miss taking care of a big yard, I really do miss my huge garden back in Missouri! 

The rain has caused a problem in our flat.  Our bedroom is below our upstairs neighbors patio.  Apparently, the drain isn't working properly and water is getting into the walls.  Over the last week, mold and damp has shown up.  Luckily, we are working with the flat owners upstairs to get it fixed so hopefully we won't have to live with it for very long.

Water damage to the walls of our bedroom.
I have finally finished a sign I've been working on for our living room, it has taken me ages because of traveling and visitors (Hi Trish!) and me being lazy.  I wanted to make a sign that had all the streets and cities that Josh and I have lived in since we met.  I have the sign hanging up over our "empty hole that used to be a fireplace".  It reminds me of some of my favorite places and brings back good memories.  I really like the way it turned out! 

Streets and cities sign.
Other than little projects here and there, Josh and I are keeping busy with other activities.  I've been trying to get back into my running routine again and I started a Hot Yoga class today that I really enjoyed.  I felt very good afterwards, but I have a long way to go before I get bendy!  I got a 10 class pass from Groupon.com, which I am totally addicted to right now...I've gotten my hair cut twice (it is insane what they charge for haircuts around here...) with a Groupon and cheap movie tickets.  I love saving money!

The weekend after we got back from our trip, Josh and I had dinner at his co-worker, Tiffany's house.  She made a yummy shrimp and pasta dish and we swapped trip stories and pictures.  Tiffany went to Dubrovnik, Croatia on holiday with a friend of hers.  I would have never figured Croatia as a vacation destination, but her pictures were really pretty and scenic.  The next night, we had our Aussie friends over for appetizers and drinks.  We were suppose to go out to dinner, but I got a little carried away and made WAY too much food...oh well, it was all really good!  This past weekend, I had dinner with my Islington Ladies group at an American style place called Byron's, the burger and onion rings I had were really good, probably the best so far in London.  It was a fun night and I'm glad I was able to get out of the house! 

Next weekend, Josh and I are going with Alissa and Kieran to Hampton Court Palace for a food festival...and to tour the Palace.  I'm really excited about both! 

Rachel



4 comments:

Samanda Holbrook said...

I love your sign Rach! So crafty and creative!! I am glad to hear you are keeping busy on the weekends and making new friends! It sounds so fun and exciting! Can't wait to join you in September! Love you!

Love,
Amanda

Mom said...

I don't like that mold in your bedroom, not healthy to breath it, hope it gets fixed soon. Love the sign, very neat. Your finally get to see your patio set, guessing you haven't been able to use it yet. Very crafty garden! Thanks for the updates, miss you, especially now that it is nice out and go out walking.

Anonymous said...

It may be nice where your mom is but I think we have that English weather here. Rain and cold one day then sun and heat the next. Most people you talk to either had a cold, getting one, or just got over one. What we needed this pass winter was a few weeks of below zero weather to kill the germs. You have a neat patio and love your make do garden. You'll probably get some amazing veggies! Hot Yoga? Ah, I don't think so. I'll just stick to water Aroebics. Going through the Palace sounds fantastic. Love you. Take care. Tell Mr Baird hello for me. Did he see the Turkeys on FB that Chris got? He's having one stuffed. Granny D

Tony said...

Another vote for the sign. Really nice inspiration and work.