Sunday, December 18, 2011

Living London

The company that manages the property we are staying at decided they needed to immediately address the floor issues in the bathroom, so this morning after church, Josh and I moved our stuff from our flat to another flat two floors up.  It is basically the exact same set up and it didn't take very long to switch flats.  Now, I have a chicken roasting in the oven (it smells soooo good) and we are spending the afternoon relaxing.

Our first look at St. Paul's Cathedral







Yesterday, Josh and I set out to explore some of the parts of London we had not been to yet.  We started in Islington, which isn't a new area for us, but I wanted to stop by a Christmas craft market that was set up on one of the side streets.  There were not as many crafters as I was hoping for and really didn't see anything that thrilled me.  There were only about 20 booths, so we went through pretty quickly.  We decided to start walking south from Angel tube station.  Our first big "find" was stumbling across St. Paul's cathedral.  It was immense!

St. Paul's Cathedral
There has been a church on the St. Paul's Cathedral sight since 604 AD.  The current cathedral was built between 1675 and 1710.  This was the sight of the wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles in 1981.


Josh and I only stepped inside for a few minutes.  You have to pay 14.50 pounds (about $22.50 US) to enter the church during visiting hours (services/masses are free).

The church was also the site of hundreds of Occupy London tents.  Somehow we didn't get any pictures, but the tents were all over the place.  They even had a little donated "grocery" store for the occupants.

Royal House of Justice.
 Josh and I continued our walk and came upon the High Court of Justice.  It is another large beautiful building that dates back to the 1870's.  Near here I also found a Twining of London store.  It was the most narrow, long store I have ever been in!  I don't think it was more than 8 feet wide!  Of course, I had to buy a few tea samples.  I had one this morning that tasted and smelled like rose.  Not bad actually...

Josh and I at Somerset House.
 We continued along "The Strand" and found an ice skating park at the Somerset House.  It was such a festive atmosphere!  Josh and I grabbed a cup of hot chocolate and watched people skate as the sun set.

Trafalgar Square at Christmas.
We then made our way to Trafalgar Square, where there were carolers singing Christmas songs.  The National Gallery is in the background.  Josh and I went into the Gallery and walked around admiring the artwork for about an hour.  

By this point, Josh and I had been wandering around London for five hours.  We were exhausted!  So we hopped on the closest tube and headed back to our flat.

This next week, we are expecting to look at a few more flats that are close to the Angel Building (Josh's office).  I hope that we have some luck,  if not, we will probably have to wait until after New Years to look again.  Everything pretty much shuts down around the holidays.  Josh and I decided to plan a trip to Scotland instead of giving each other gifts this year, so on December 26th we are leaving London for a five day trip to Edinburgh and Glasgow Scotland.  We are so excited to see Josh's "homeland", I promise I will try to get a picture of Josh in a kilt!

Cheers! 


10 comments:

Mom said...

Oh wow! Great pictures, this is what I am talking about, pictures are the best! The ice skating one is really Christmas like, sounded so nice, sipping on your hot chocolate.

Loved the Church too, maybe someday you can hit a mass there, that would be ace!

Sarah said...

Sounds awesome Rach! Can't wait to visit!

Mom said...

Where is your hat Rach?!

Grandma said...

What a great blog entry. I always feel I'm right there with you. Most definately need to see Josh in a Kilt.

Becky Karlowicz said...

I really like Twinings' black currant, ginseng, and vanilla tea.

Catherine Smart said...

You are an excellent writer, Rachel. We feel like we are there with you as you describe the sights, sounds, and smells of London. Be sure and plan on publishing your blog--what a treasure. I can hardly wait for the Scotland episode. I trained up by myself many years ago, and saw kilted men everywhere--regular business garms. The climb to the castle is well worth it. Oh, and as we crossed into Scotland, at some point, I saw Hadrian's wall--I cried like a baby--after only reading about these things in history books, well, I love it all. Love your blog. Love to you both and "Happy Christmas".

Anonymous said...

Yes..keep the pics coming! It sounded so Christmasy there! Enjoy every minute of it!!!
Jill

Anonymous said...

I just re-read this blog again. As Aunt Cathy said, keep these blogs, as one day you might want to print them out as a book for you and Josh. Loved the ice skating scene and the square where they are singing. Going into the church reminded me of when I wanted to go to mass in Germany and the old gal wouldn't let me in. I argue with her and kind of imbarrased David. lol Never could figure out what it was all about.

With love, hugs, and kisses,
Granny D

Mom said...

Be sure to keep track of highlights to show Dad and I when we visit.

Josh and Rachel said...

I will mom. Are you still planning on coming in October? What about Alaska?