Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fun before the wedding!


Underwear cookies for the Bachelorette Party...how cute are these???
The wedding festivities for Sam & Amanda started on Thursday, with Bachelor and Bachelorette parties scheduled.  The girls started the day by getting our nails done, pedicures and manicures all around, while we snacked on the cute "underwear" cookies Sarah and I made.  The boys started their day by freezing their butts off at an outdoor gun range.  I think the girls had it much better!

Amanda and her big sis Shauna getting nails painted.

Bridesmaids Nicole and Rachel getting their pedicures!
After getting beautified at the nail salon, we all headed off to Cheddar's Casual Cafe (Amanda's favorite restaurant) to have dinner and a few drinks.  Amanda is really going to miss Cheddar's when she and Sam move to England in September.  My sis, Sarah, had a few alcoholic beverages...she was feeling gooooood, ha ha!  The boys had dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings, were I believe there was a lot of drinking going on...I'm not even sure they even left to go anywhere else...

Amanda in her Bachelorette wear.
Amanda was forced to wear a lovely crown complete with the tiniest veil I've ever seen. Amanda was given a few gifts at her party, most notably, the cute his and hers trucker hats from family friend, Tara.  How cute are those???
Mr. & Mrs. hats from Tara.
 A few of the girls were spending the night at a hotel with Amanda after the Bachelorette party, so after dinner we took a drive over to check out the room, have a few drinks and play a few games.  We won't talk about the games or some of the food...what happens in the hotel room, stays in the hotel room!

Bride-to-be Amanda with my sister, Sarah.
Amanda starting off one of the games.
We had a blast playing the games and for a while there, I thought we would just end up staying in the hotel room all night, but the girls decided they had to take Amanda out on the town for some excitement.  You just can't hide that Bachelorette ensemble in a hotel room!  The girls had written up a "to do" list for Amanda, full of embarrassing tasks to complete before the night was over.  Amanda was a good sport and completed everything on her list except one..."Take a picture with a cop"...and that was only because we never found a cop!  
Cheers to Amanda!
One of Amanda's "tasks"...dancing on a pole on South Street.
We ended up going to Dublin's pass, where we received a few free drinks (yay!) and then to the MudLounge in downtown Springfield, one of my favorite places!  Some of the girls shared a huge "fishbowl" a huge blue drink.  I had tea with milk and sugar, like a proper British girl, since I was a DD.  It was nice and warm and helped keep me awake while the other girls closed down the bar!

I made the drop off rounds and finally crashed into bed at 2:30 am.  I was back up again at 7:30am so I could go visit with some of the family that had arrived from Quincy the night before.  It was great to see my aunts and cousins and their children.  Totally worth only 5 hours of sleep!  Later that morning, the bridesmaids and Amanda gathered at Beth's Bake shop for a Bridal luncheon, given by Amanda's aunt Bobetta.

Amanda with her mom, sister, cousin-in-law, aunt and a bridesmaid.
Sarah, me and Anna at the luncheon.

The luncheon was lovely and the food was really yummy.  Amanda gave all her bridesmaids their gifts during our meal.  Each of us received a pretty pearl necklace, bracelet and earrings to wear with our dresses on the Wedding day.

After our lunch, a few of us ran off to the reception hall to start decorating.  We were able to pull it together pretty quickly with few problems.  Of course, it wouldn't be a wedding without some problems, and we did have a few, but overall, it went pretty smoothly.  I thought I might be able to catch a nap that afternoon, but decorating at the church took longer than expected, so I had to run from the church to home to change, back to the church for the rehearsal.  It was worth it though, the church looked great!  The rehearsal went very smoothly and we were off to the dinner in no time...

Sam and Amanda at the rehearsal dinner.
Sam's birthday present from Josh and I...Aero bars from England!
The rehearsal dinner was at the same hall as the reception, just in a side room.  The theme was Asian.  The food was really good, sushi, stir fry, fried rice and some of the best cheesecake I have ever had.  It was Sam's birthday as well, so we sang to him and he opened presents from us.  Sam gave all of his groomsmen their gifts, a pocket knife engraved with their last names and a cigar.

Sam and they guys smoking their cigars.
I stuck around a little while to visit with my Grandma's and more family.  I didn't get to see my extended family that much when we lived in the States, since it was a five hour drive, but we did get back at least once every couple months.  It is weird knowing that I won't be seeing them as often, maybe once or twice a year if I am lucky.  I am extremely glad for the experience of living in London, but I'm also glad knowing that it is only temporary, and someday we will be living closer to family again!

My Grandma D and I at the rehearsal dinner.
We left the dinner earlier than expected, thankfully, because I was exhausted from the days activities.  I think that has been the theme for this week, pure exhaustion, but I've enjoyed every minute!  The big day is next...stay tuned!!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Oh want fun to relive that weekend, except for the brasholett party I was there
for all of it, I was snuggling up with Hazel watching a movie. The Guys did
move onto Big Wiskey after dinner, and they too shut it down. I love the pic of Amanda dancing on the pole, LOL! Wish I had one of those cookies right now, yum!

Mom said...

Great picture of you and Mamow D.

Anonymous said...

What a fun filled week end! I don't know of anyone who didn't enjoy themselves. I was so worn out every night I failed to meet Brian for coffee in hotel lobby. Now I'm on his List! Rehearsal dinner was so good. And I don't even care for Asian. But I'll still leave the sushi for others. I set next to Father from St Elizabeth and we had a grand time! I enjoyed watching your Aunts. They are all 6 a little on the nutty side. And our family got to know Tom better. He's a sweet guy! The wedding was just beautiful and everyone looked so pretty in their dresses and guys handsome in their suits. And that little flower girl! She stole the show. I also had a great week end getting reacquainted with you Grandma Holbrook. We had a lot of laughs. It was sad leaving but all good things must come to an end. Love you and love reading your blogs!

Granny D

Mom said...

The Luncheon was so nice, nice to sit, relax and talk , eat great food and those
Yummy desserts. I and Pam, Amanda's Mom also recieved necklace and earrings.,
What a surprise! So nice of you Amanda.Thanks Again.

Josh and Rachel said...

Love you to Mama D! And I love our big crazy family!