Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Wedding of the Year!

So, Sam and Amanda have been married for one week now.  And while they are soaking up the Jamaican sun, I'm sitting in my tiny, dark, hovel of a flat reliving the glory from seven days ago.  (It is quite dim in my flat, but it really isn't a hovel, and don't feel bad for me, Josh and I spent all day out exploring London again!) 

I believe I left off on Friday, after the Rehearsal dinner.  I woke up the next morning and for the first time all week, I was alone in the Holbrook house.  Mom was off getting her hair done with her sisters and Dad, Sam and Josh had left early to have breakfast at Hemingways.  I headed out shortly to have my updo done at my hairdresser's, it was nice and relaxing and I almost fell asleep.  By the time my hair was done I only had 45 minutes to get to the church for our Bride imposed 11:00 am arrival.  I rushed home to grab my dress, shoes and gift and high-tailed it to the reception site to check on some things for Amanda.  Luckily, everything looked good at the hall and I was able to make it to the church only five minutes late. 

Beautiful Bride!
And what did I find when I rushed in late to the church?  A beautiful bride waiting to get married...getting ready all alone in a big room with only her photographer for company.  Poor Amanda!  I can't believe that no one else was there with her.  I'm really glad I was only late by five minutes, because no one else showed up until almost noon.  Amanda seemed to take everything in stride and remained calm and collected.  And luckily, by the time the photographer was ready to take some pictures of her putting on her wedding dress, a few of Amanda's other bridesmaids had shown up and were ready to help. 

Amanda getting dress help from Stephanie.
Isn't she pretty?  The time until the wedding started was a whirlwind.  I was running back and forth from the guys room delivering water and pizza and checking on things for Amanda.  Amanda and Sam had their "first look" and had a ton of pictures taken together (that I can't wait to see!)  All of a sudden it was 1:30 and I needed to get my dress on and help Sarah get Hazel ready.  I managed to get her dress on, but the tights were up to Sarah...
The flower girl is ready...minus the flowers for her hair!
Me, Mom and Sarah ready for the wedding!
As we lined up for the walk down the aisles, my dad caught sight of Amanda in her wedding dress.  Tears rolled down his cheeks.  I'm not sure exactly what he was thinking, but I imagine it was pride in Sam's choice for a wife and love for his soon to be daughter.  I also imagine it is a good feeling for a father, to know that your children have all made good spouse choices, because all they have ever wanted for us, I think, is to know that we are happy.  Seeing dad looking so proud, made Sarah and I tear up also, and the actual wedding hadn't even started! 

I was kind of busy during the wedding, so I didn't get any pictures, sorry!  But it was beautiful and sweet and they both said "I do".  Hazel did really well when it counted, a total reversal from the craziness of the night before.  Everything was lovely and the exit out of the church was great.  Nothing says "welcome to being an Air Force wife" like a slap on the butt with a sword! 

After the ceremony it was pictures, pictures, pictures.  There are a few that I can't wait to get a look at.  Come on Preston Dial!  Then, Josh and I took a quick trip to the hotel that everyone was staying at so that we could meet up with Josh's parents and our besties, Ben and Jamie.  I'm go glad that Ben broke his arm so that he could come to the wedding!  He he! 

Lt. and Mrs. Holbrook.  Aren't they adorable?
The Diamond room looked great, of course, I did help with the decorations, so I may be a little biased.  I was bothered by the hydrangea situation though...why oh why didn't someone cut them to fit in the vases???  I'm not sure who thought they looked okay hanging a foot out of the water, but whatever, I didn't have scissors on me so there wasn't anything I could do about it.  Sigh.  This is why I have a hard time delegating...things just don't get done to my specifications.  Anyway, everything looked lovely and the food was amazing.  And the bar was amazing.  They ran out of my special concoction of Dr. Pepper and coconut rum, but I was introduced to a new drink made of banana rum, pineapple juice and cherry grenadine.  YUM!  Thanks mom and dad for that open bar!   After dinner, things started to get a little crazy...

Aunt Peggy and Aunt Terry getting down at the reception.

Josh and I dancing at the reception.
Not sure what Kevin is doing...kind of looks like he's touching Cathy's boob, LOL!
Sam's "right to bear arms" shirt...these guys were so funny!
It was an epic night.  Lots of dancing, lots of laughs, lots of boozy drunk people (you know who you are).  Even my Granny got some hot Air Force guy action!

Granny T. with her new friends.
Amanda and her new father-in-law!
Thanks Amanda and Sam, for bringing our families together and getting married.  I love you guys!  And thanks to Pam, Amanda's mom, for the wonderful reception it was beautiful and the food and cake were awesome.  And thanks (again) to my parents for the open bar, you guys rock! 

Sadly, with the wedding coming to an end, it meant that our time in the States was also coming to a close.  Poo.  I wish I would have stayed another week!  It was so hard to get everything in that I wanted to do and very hard to see everyone I wanted to see.  But I am thankful for the time we had and thankful for every minute I got to be with my friends and family.  Miss you all so much! 
Rachel

5 comments:

Uncle Joe and Aunt Carol said...

Miss you kids too!

Mom said...

Awh, very nice, great pictures, and only you knew that the flowers were supposed to
be cut, I thought they looked pretty the way they were. We are very happy all our 3
Children have found the love of their life, I think Dad cried when he saw Hazel all dressed up too!
On the way home Dad said to me" We did it Bec" all our Kids happily married. Congratulation
Sam and Amanda!, Miss you too Rach.

Anonymous said...

Pictures are great. Good time was had by all & to good for some. Lol. I had great time getting reacquainted with Grandma Holbrook. I think we both have a dry sense of humor.

Love ya, Granny D

Josh and Rachel said...

Aww...that is sweet. :)

Mom said...

I wouldn't say dry Mom, maybe slow. LOL! I think you and Granny should get together and have Tea sometime,no more Holbrook Weddings for you Mom.