Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Time is here...

On Monday, our air shipment from the states finally arrived.  In addition to clothes, toiletries, etc., the shipment included our small selection of Christmas decorations.  The Christmas tree is a little four foot fiber optic tree that was pretty for the first minute that it worked!  I forgot to check the voltage before I plugged it in and after a few glorious seconds, off it went...so did the TV....oops.  I had tripped the circuit.  So we have a very nice Christmas tree that I can't plug in, so sad.  I meant to buy some "fairy lights" to put on the tree, but I keep forgetting.  No bother, the tree still makes our flat feel more Christmas-y!  Thanks mom!

Our tiny little tree!
 On Monday we also got a few Christmas cards in the mail, which really made my day! They are proudly taped to the mirror in the living room so I can see them whenever I'm in the room.


Our Nativity, stockings and cards!   
Monday night was Josh's office Christmas party.  Unfortunately, it was only for workers, so I didn't get to go.  Instead, I spent the night attempting to make some Christmas cookies minus a mixer, baking pans and baking sheets!  I managed to make Millionaire bars (a British treat), Makeout Cookies (a family favorite) and Coconut Macaroons dipped in chocolate (swoon...I LOVE coconut).

Makeout cookies ( bottom), Macaroons (middle) and Millionaire Bars (top right)


Josh brought most of the cookies to work with him and they received rave reviews.  Who knew you didn't need fancy things like baking sheets to make delicious treats!

Tuesday night, Josh and I watched my favorite Christmas movie, Love Actually.  (I'm pretty sure Josh's favorite is Bad Santa, which I refuse to watch).  We have watched it every Christmas for years.  It was fun this year to point out places we have been.  Sometimes it is still hard to believe we are in London!

Today I did a little grocery shopping for Christmas.  I went to a store called "Iceland" to pick up some frozen appetizers for Christmas Eve.  Normally, I would make everything from scratch, but seriously, my kitchen is minimal at the moment AND it is only going to be Josh and I, and he doesn't care where the food comes from as long as there as something to eat.  Sooooo, I picked up a few selections and came across this little gem...

Mr Brain's Faggots!!!
What the....???  Mr Brain's Faggots???  What is the world?  You aren't suppose to say the word "faggot", let alone use it to advertise an onion/liver/meat concoction.  Could you imagine putting faggots on your grocery list.  Hhhmm....I need milk, eggs, bread, and oh yes, I can't forget the faggots!  British traditions are weird.  I'm still grossed out by the Christmas pudding ad I keep seeing on TV from Tesco (imagine a dark brown molded pile of strange colored bits stuck together by cooked suet...cow fat people!)

Also, I want to add a little message to London...although I doubt if anyone pays attention.  Dear London, if you would put out more public trash receptacles, more people would use them.  Negating the need to pay people to go around picking up litter all of the time.  Seriously, I don't understand the lack of trashcans...

Anyway...Josh and I have an action packed week and a half ahead.  We are very excited to be visiting my second cousin Mike and his family in Ely on Friday and Saturday.  Then we have a (hopefully) relaxing Christmas day on our own in London, then off to Scotland for a week.  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! 

Cheers, Rachel


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, sorry about the tree! Did Josh bring the lights I got him? The tree does look festve though! Sorry to I did not mail another card, just the one I gave you before you left. Your Christmas plans sound nice, glad you and Mike are going to meet! We will miss you Guys here. Merry Christmas Rach! Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm reading this on my iPad so message will be short. Well maybe it will as you know how I love to talk. Your Christmas plans sound great! Tell Mike Aunt D said Merry Christmass. You are so amazing. Who else could make cookies with out all the handi stuff like baking pans. Tree is cute. I like it lights or not. As for the trash? Be glad they aren't throwing their pee out the upper windows like they use to. Yucky!!
Love ya, Granny D

M Brocksmith said...

Love reading your blog. It makes me feel like Im living your adventure. Mary Brocksmith

Anonymous said...

Hi Rach and Josh!
I really look forward to reading your posts! It's very interesting to read about the adventures you're having. (Sorry about your tree lights. Do you just need the proper converter?)

I agree with mom that it's very nice you're meeting up with Mike. I know you'll have a good time--he's a great guy...and a very experienced world-traveler! No doubt he'll have some great advice about England and Europe.

That Mr. Brain's thing is a hoot. The Brits aren't PC are they? How funny!

Bye for now. Love you both and Cheerio!

Dad

Mom said...

Did Josh tell his co workers the name of the cookies? The make out cookies! Yum, must send recepie to Sarah. Glad Dad was able to post!

Mom said...

He still can't figure out how to get pic of him posted

Josh and Rachel said...

Mom, yes, we have the lights you gave Josh. I need to check the voltage to see if it would work with an adapter. Dad, we have a converter, but apparently Josh put it on the boat shipment so we won't have it for another month or so! I miss you guys too!

Sam said...

Boat shipment? What else is on the boat shipment?

Josh and Rachel said...

Summer clothes, dishes, pots and pans, linens, a chair and a dresser. Very important things Sam!

Mom said...

Looking forward to hearing all about your Christmas and Scotland. And pictures!!!