Monday, December 26, 2011

Visit to Ely

Rachel in Epping.
Josh and I went up to Ely to visit my second cousin Mike and his family.  They have lived in England for a few years.  We ended up taking the tube up to Epping and Mike graciously offered to pick us up!  Epping was a cute little town with a lot of little shops.  We ducked into a little restaurant and had a snack before we went onto Ely.

Ely Cathedral
Mike took us on little tour of Ely.  The main attraction was the huge Ely Cathedral.  It was amazing!  I believe that it was built around the 1100's.  The inside of the Cathedral was amazing...we didn't get pictures though because we forgot to bring our camera the first time we went by.  (Sad face). 

We strolled through the center of town and checked out the weekly Saturday market.  Mike introduced us to a food booth that made very yummy crepes.  It was a very Christmas-y atmosphere with carolers and Christmas music being played around us. 

Shopping on base!
After the tour of Ely, Mike brought us on a tour of the two local military bases, Lakenheath and Mildenhall.  Mildenhall is the base that my brother, Sam, and his almost wife Amanda, will be stationed in a few months!  It was so nice to be able to shop in dollars instead of pounds AND so nice to see familiar products.  Josh and I stocked up on food that we haven't been able to find in London.  Yay!

(I was going to put a picture of Josh riding the train - here - but blogger won't let me upload...or maybe it is my crappy connection...)

Anyway, Josh and I had a great time on our trip to Ely and to visit Mike and his family.  Thanks to them for having us, and thanks to Mike for the train tickets back to London!

Rachel


4 comments:

Sierra said...

I have a friend who just moved back stateside from her husband's stationing at Lakenheath...sounds like you guys are having a good time getting to know England!

Mom said...

Cute picture of you on top there,I bet you wish I would of been with you doing the shopping thing, right? The Cathedral looks really neat, guess no pictures allowed inside? Only wish you would of gotten a front face picture with Mike and his family. Sorry we missed the pic of Josh in the train, try, try again! All sounded wonderful, glad you and Mike finally met!

Anonymous said...

Well there I go again. Shopping in Ely. I felt I was with you even to saying a prayer in the Cathedral. Glad you enjoyed Mike and family. Now anxious to here about Scotland. Love them Highlanders!!

Love you,
Granny D

Anonymous said...

Rachel - I've been following your blog and WOW! How exciting! Hope you are taking lots of pictures and starting a scrapbook. I know that you and Josh will make the best of any and all situations. Wish we could see you when you come back in January, but will just keep up this way. I know Ben & Jamie are looking forwardto seeing you and rejoicing at the blessing of Sam's wedding. We love you both. Hugs from us to you - Doug & Pat